About Haverstraw

The Town of Haverstraw was founded by Dutch settlers in 1666. The name is derived from the Dutch “haverstroo,” meaning “oat straw,” for oats that once grew in the area.

Haverstraw Bay is the widest point on the Hudson River, running 3 miles across and 6 miles lengthwise from Croton Point to Stony Point.

An important Revolutionary War beacon was located on High Tor Mountain, signaling the advancement of British ships up the Hudson River.

Benedict Arnold met with British Major John Andre in 1780 on the shores of Haverstraw to plan the capture of West Point.

The Village of Warren was incorporated in 1854. Under an Act of the State Legislature, the name of the village was changed to “Haverstraw” in 1874.

Haverstraw was once the brick making capital of the world. Most late 19th-early 20th century buildings in New York City were built with Haverstraw brick, including the American Tract Society Building at 150 Nassau Street, completed in 1895 and designated a landmark in 1999.

Babe Ruth played baseball in Haverstraw on Sunday, August 22, 1920, during the filming of the movie Heading Home.